COAC BARCELONA PROMOTES THE '10 ARCHITECTURE FESTIVALS'
The Architects’ Association of Catalonia is promoting the 10 Architecture Festivals 2023, an evolution of Architecture Week that will take place at different venues in Barcelona from 25 March to 10 June. Architecture Week thus goes from 10 days to 10 weeks, with an eye on the future: Barcelona World Capital of Architecture 2026. That will be the moment when we move from 10 weeks to 10 months of architecture throughout the territory.
The Architecture Festivals, which the Barcelona branch organises year after year in different areas of the city, aim to highlight a specific space or building in each district: identifying it, pointing out the challenges lying ahead for it architecturally and giving impetus among both citizens and institutions to move things forward. Guided tours, talks, concerts and different types of workshops, among other events, are organised around these public spaces and buildings.
For 10 weeks, Barcelona will become the epicentre of a wide range of activities related to the world of architecture, urban planning, design and the city, moving beyond disciplinary boundaries, highlighting the social role of architects and the architecture of the territory, raising awareness of the value of heritage and encouraging discovery of the environment.
10 festivals, 10 districts, 10 World Days
This year, the emphasis is on World Days, which will serve as the common thread of the ten Architecture Festivals held in each of the city’s ten districts. The agenda includes:
- 25 March from 11 am to 2 pm. Architecture Festival: Valuing the architecture of water. World Water Day. Horta-Guinardó.
- 1 April from 11 am to 2 pm. Architecture Festival: Renaturalising the surroundings of Can Valent. World Building Rehabilitation Day. Nou Barris.
- 8 April from 11 am to 2 pm. Architecture Festival: Reviving the anti-tuberculosis dispensary. World Health Day. Ciutat Vella.
- 15 April from 11 am to 2 pm. Architecture Festival: Caring for heritage. International Day for Monuments and Sites. Sant Andreu.
- 22 April from 11 am to 2 pm. Architecture Festival: Building the inclusive city. World Creativity and Innovation Day. Les Corts.
- 30 April from 11 am to 14 pm. Architecture Festival: Touring industrial heritage. International Dance Day. Sant Martí.
- 6 May from 6 pm to 10 pm. Architecture Festival: Respecting silence. International Noise Awareness Day. Gràcia.
- 13 May from 11 am to 2 pm. Architecture Festival: Recovering Passeig de la Zona Franca. World Day of Local Commerce. Sants-Montjuïc.
- 20 May from 11 am to 2 pm. Architecture Festival: Opening the doors. International Horticulture Day. Sarrià-Sant Gervasi.
- 10 June from 11 am to 2 pm. Architecture Festival: Discovering the Escola Industrial site. International Ceramics Day. Eixample.